Veterans Day is Wednesday, November 11, and if you are a veteran, or a veteran’s loved one, the day will likely be of special import to you. For others, perhaps, it will be a day to reflect on veterans and the sacrifice our men and women in the military make every day to protect our great nation.
Here are some ideas for how you can honor those who have served in the Armed Forces this Veterans Day:
- Travel to Washington DC to visit the war memorials and Arlington National Cemetery
- Take part in a flag-raising ceremony at your local American Legion or VFW
- Attend a veterans day parade in your neighborhood or city
- Volunteer at a veterans hospital or retirement home
- Participate in an moment of silence – this typically occurs at 11a.m. on Veterans Day and lasts for 2 minutes.
- Watch a documentary on veterans or a war.
If you have school-aged children, you can also encourage their schools to take part in the History Channel’s “Take a Veteran to School Day.”