In exchange for performing such an valuable service to their country, the VA offers former Prisoners of War preferential medical treatment as well as benefits that are also extended to their families.
Former POWs with service-connected disabilities are eligible for VA health care that includes:
- Hospital treatment;
- Nursing home treatment; and
- Outpatient treatment.
Former POWs without service-connected disabilities are eligible for VA hospital and nursing home care regardless of their ability to pay and are also given priority for outpatient care. Any former POW receiving treatment in an approved outpatient center is qualified for the following, as needed:
- Hearing aids
- Prostheses and
- All dental care
The Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) benefit is paid monthly to a surviving spouse and in some cases former children and parents. This benefit is paid if the former POW:
- Was a service member who died on active duty; OR
- Died from service-related disabilities; OR
- Died on or before September 30, 1999, AND was continuously rated totally disabled for a service-connected condition (including individual un-employability) for at least 10 years immediately preceding death; OR
- Died after September 30, 1999, AND was continuously rated totally disabled for a service-connected condition (including individual unemployability) for at least one year immediately preceding death.
The VA also offers benefits to the families of former POWs. Certain dependents and survivors may also be eligible for VA benefits to include:
- Health care
- Death pension
- Education and training
- Home loan guaranty and
- Burial in a national cemetery
If you are a former POW or a surviving family member looking to file for benefits, contact Veterans Help Group, a veterans law firm located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We represent more than 5000 disability claimants. Our disability attorneys have experience with cross examining agency-appointed medical and vocational experts and take time when speaking with you about your disability claim. Call us today at 1-855-855-8992 for a FREE legal consultation. There is NO OBLIGATION to hire our firm and there are NO FEES unless one of our trained disability lawyers wins your case.